In today’s time where everyone needs the best, at the least prices it’s a bit tough to select the best of methods. Especially when it comes to spray painting, the technology has evolved. Previously, the painting only involved lead or oil-based paints. Not only the types of paint used have evolved but the paint application methods have changed as well.
With a change in technology and material, its very important for a painter to understand the technology used and keep themselves up-to-date with how things work.
To understand the new application methods of spray painting versus conventional painting methods, we have listened down a few pros and cons of each method below:
PROS AND CONS OF CONVENTIONAL VERSUS SPRAY PAINTING
- Conventional spray painting offers a lot of control and options over the choice of painting materials compared to spray-paints.
- Spray-on methods ensure saving on a lot of cost and the ease of smooth application over the surfaces compared to conventional methods.
- Conventional spray painting has an edge over the ability to cover nooks and corners easily. On the other hand with spray painting its hard to reach such an area, therefore after spraypainting the painter must use a brush or roller to paint those hard to reach areas such as edge, corners, etc.
- Spray painting can cover large surfaces much easier. In traditional painting, it takes several days to let say, cover one wall whereas spray paint can do it in half time. So with spray painting is a time-saving paint application technique.
- One major disadvantage of spray painting is the risk of over spraying and the painting mess it leaves behind. Whereas with conventional painting the painting is contained and precise, which is why its easier to clean up.
- With the new technology, the painting materials have hazardous chemicals and therefore a lot of safety measures such as masks, gloves, etc are needed to do the painting application.
- With conventional painting, there are not any damages that can occur, however with spray painting a lot of machines malfunction and damages that can occur due to which you will have to search for paint sprayer repair shops. Which is costly and time-consuming as well.
- With spray painting, the labor needs to be constantly updated with new technology. When it comes to operating a spray gun machine, its essential that the operator of the machine is well aware of how to work it and knows the function of every button. With the conventional painting method, labor training is easy.
TECHNOLOGY USED IN TERMS OF SPRAY PAINTING
A spray paint gun uses the same technology similar to that of a gun. It involves the basic parts of paint containers, compressed air systems, and a lot of tubes. Please see the article Paint sprayer parts and accessories for more detail information on them.
A very basic paint sprayer uses the technology of using high air pressure to atomize a stream of paint. This system results In a smooth finish.
Paint applications are also now done with updated technologies, listed below:
- Airless (Hot or Hydraulic)
- High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP)
- Low-Pressure Low Volume (LPLV)
- Air – Assisted Airless
- Electrostatic system
Every professional or an amateur uses technology based on how he can understand that technology to make the best use of it. One problem with using paint sprayer guns is the cost of maintenance and repair. While it is easy to go to a paint sprayer repair shop but repairing the damage or maintaining it yourself will save you a lot of cash.
After selecting the technology that works best for you or your job comes the question of sprayer selection. A Lot of factors are considered trying to answer this question, like for example:
- Painting work you are familiar with
- The question of coating you wish to apply for your job
- What spray gun or tip do you have with you
- Power source for your spray gun
You need to select a paint sprayer based on the factors above. As every painter might have experience with a different gun using different spray systems, different tips or surfaces they are familiar with.
So a lot depends on who is painting and what he is familiar or experienced with.
If the job requires a certain kind of painting gun or technique, its best to do the operator’s training before giving the person a job. There are many training workshops available for specific machines or technologies that can help you stay updated and skilled.
The training time varies from a few days to a few weeks, All we can say is if you are experimenting with new technology, it is better to get educated about it. Otherwise, you might end up incurring damages to yourself or the job!
Credit to The Hearup.